Monday, February 8, 2010

London's Run Charity 10K

On January 30th, I laced up my running shoes and headed out to Queen Creek at 6 am in the morning to participate in London's Run.  I decided last minute that I needed to support such a wonderful cause, even if I had not been training for the 10K distance.  London was just like any other 6 year old girl until she was diagnosed with an aggressive type of leukemia.  She spent 7 1/2 months in Phoenix Children’s Hospital undergoing five rounds of intense chemotherapy with only a few trips home to visit family and friends.  In December 2005, while in her fifth round of chemo, she developed an infection her weakened body could not fight and she passed away December 21st. Throughout the entire race, I used London's story of courage, determination and passion to spur me on.  I managed to complete the race without stopping once.  In fact, a small group of us were misguided on the route and we ended up running an extra 1.5 miles.  Apparently, right after our group passed by a checkpoint, the remaining runners were guided to the correct route.  Oh well, it was for charity!  I have to admit, now I have the bug to compete in a 1/2 marathon next year. 

1 comment: